Hendersonville dentist describes the difference between dental crown vs filling
Dr. Christopher Port is a dentist in the Hendersonville community who provides quality care at the Asheville Smile Center. His practice works closely with patients to enhance their natural appearance while improving the function and health of their smiles. Many patients who are seeking restorative solutions may be interested in learning more about the treatments available, which may include dental crowns and fillings.
Many patients will ask their dentist about the differences between a dental crown vs fillings.
Fillings are composite resin materials used to address areas of decay. The decay, also known as a cavity, is cleaned and prepared for the placement of the filling. The filling material is placed into the hole created, and then hardened and polished to seal off the tooth and keep bacteria from reentering the cavity. Composite resin fillings are highly desirable because they are aesthetic, unlike traditional silver amalgam fillings commonly used in the past. Composite resin fillings can be used for small to medium areas of decay on their own while still maintaining the tooth structure.
Dental crowns may be better suited for patients with larger areas of decay. Patients will still have their natural tooth filled with composite resin, but a large cavity may still affect the integrity and structure of the natural tooth. Because of this, Dr. Christopher Port may determine that patients will fare better with the addition of a dental crown over the top of the tooth for strength. Dental crowns are made of ceramic and cover the top and sides of a tooth for protection. Crowns are also used to anchor dental bridges and to cover a dental implant.
If you live in or around the Hendersonville, NC area and are interested in working with a dentist who can restore the natural teeth when problems arise, now is a great time to contact the Asheville Smile Center and book an appointment with Dr. Christopher Port. Our team of professionals is here to assist family members in achieving and maintaining better dental health and wellness.
Back to Types of Dental Crowns Home Page
- How Long Do Crowns Last Arden NC - Patients in Arden, NC ask, "How long do crowns last?"
- Dental Crown Asheville - Restoring your smile with a customized dental crown in Asheville
- Difference Between Crown & Filling NC - Dental team in Asheville, NC explains the difference between a filling & a crown
- Crowns on Front Teeth Cost Arden - Well-known dentist in Arden explains the cost factors of crowns placed on front teeth
- Dental Crown Vs Filling Hendersonville - Hendersonville dentist describes the difference between dental crown vs filling
- Dental Crowns Teeth Hendersonville - How dental crowns can help protect the natural teeth of Hendersonville patients
- Dental Crowns Front Teeth Asheville - Asheville area patients ask if dental crowns can be used on the front teeth
| Back to Crowns and Bridges Home Page