Dental team in Asheville, NC explains the difference between a filling & a crown
When a tooth is damaged or decayed, there are several treatments that can restore health and beauty to the smile. Two treatments that are safe and effective are fillings and crowns. Many patients will ask the Asheville Smile Center in Asheville, NC about the difference between a crown and a filling. We are happy to explain.
Filling & crown overview
When there is a cavity, a filling may be the best solution. Before the procedure, we will numb the affected tooth with local anesthetic. Then, one of our dentists will remove the decayed portion of the tooth. Once the decay is removed, Dr. Christopher Port or Dr. Michael Hernandez will prepare the space by cleaning the area of debris and bacteria. He will fill the area where decayed material was removed with composite resin, a natural looking material. Composite resin is versatile and used to repair chipped or cracked teeth and brighten severely discolored teeth. After the dentist places the filling, he will polish the tooth so it blends beautifully with the smile.
Depending on the extent of decay or damage, the dentist may recommend a crown. This cap is placed on the affected tooth to protect and strengthen it. Before the procedure, the tooth will be numbed with local anesthetic. The tooth will then be minimally prepared to ensure the crown fits precisely. Like a filling, we can provide a crown in a single appointment. By utilizing CEREC technology, we can take a digital impression of the tooth. We display the image in 3-D before placing a block of ceramic in the milling chamber. The customized crown is checked for precise fit and color before being permanently bonded to the tooth. A ceramic crown is designed to blend naturally with surrounding teeth and can add radiance to your smile.
With either a filling or crown, it is critical to maintain your oral health. Brushing, flossing, and dental check-ups will help you avoid oral conditions such as tooth decay and gum disease. At Asheville Smile Center, we can help you onto a path toward a healthy and beautiful smile. Schedule an appointment with Dr. Port or Dr. Hernandez by calling (828) 585-4049 today.
Back to Types of Dental Crowns Home Page
- How Long Do Crowns Last Arden NC - Patients in Arden, NC ask, "How long do crowns last?"
- Dental Crown Asheville - Restoring your smile with a customized dental crown in Asheville
- Difference Between Crown & Filling NC - Dental team in Asheville, NC explains the difference between a filling & a crown
- Crowns on Front Teeth Cost Arden - Well-known dentist in Arden explains the cost factors of crowns placed on front teeth
- Dental Crown Vs Filling Hendersonville - Hendersonville dentist describes the difference between dental crown vs filling
- Dental Crowns Teeth Hendersonville - How dental crowns can help protect the natural teeth of Hendersonville patients
- Dental Crowns Front Teeth Asheville - Asheville area patients ask if dental crowns can be used on the front teeth
| Back to Crowns and Bridges Home Page