Differences in a tooth crown and bridge from your dentist near Hendersonville
With the many advances that have propelled dentistry forward in the past few decades, dental patients are discovering they have wonderful new ways in which they can improve oral health through restorative care, and even improve the look of their smile with cosmetic services. The professional dental team at Asheville Smile Center has the training and precise skills to help patients of all ages accomplish their smile goals.
Dental crowns and bridges are methods commonly used to restore full function and beauty to patients’ smiles. The two are often referred to together, but they are actually different types of restorations. Additionally, each one has various options from which to choose. Essentially, if you have a tooth that has been damaged beyond the capabilities of a filling, a crown is used to cover the remaining tooth structure. If you are missing a tooth
or several teeth, a customized bridge
may be designed in our office near Hendersonville
Dental crowns are designed to fit over natural tooth structure that has been shaped to accommodate the restoration. If a tooth has been fractured or damaged by a large cavity, or has been treated with root canal therapy, a crown will become the new tooth surface, protecting the weakened structure from further damage. Crowns are made from a variety of materials, including gold, metal alloy, and porcelain or ceramic.
People choose the material of their dental crown based on their needs and preferences. Gold is a suitable option because these crowns tend to last the longest, though people are often put off by the idea of gold showing in their smile. A more affordable option may be metal alloy crowns, which are often made with a porcelain overlay for a more attractive appearance. Finally, all ceramic crowns are ideal for the repair of front teeth, and for patients who prefer metal-free restorations.
Bridges are designed for tooth replacement rather than repair. In a fixed bridge, which is permanently affixed to two healthy teeth, two dental crowns hold an artificial tooth in the gap left by the missing tooth. Anchored by the teeth adjacent to the gap, the artificial tooth is able to withstand the force of chewing for many years.
The Asheville Smile Center Team is skilled at repairing teeth with the most suitable restorations. We can help you determine which type of crown or bridge will best meet your needs. Contact us today for your appointment.
Back to Types of Dental Bridges Home Page
- Teeth Bridge Asheville - A seamless smile that includes a beautiful bridge is easy with your dentist in Asheville
- Tooth Bridge Hendersonville - Differences in a tooth crown and bridge from your dentist near Hendersonville
- Dental Bridges Types Hendersonville - Types of dental bridges for Hendersonville area patients
- Bridge Dental Work Hendersonville - Hendersonville area dentist describes dental bridges and explains how they work
- Dental Bridge Replacement Arden - Why Arden area patients may consider a dental bridge for replacement of a missing tooth
- Dental Bridges vs Partials Arden - Arden area dentist describes the different between dental bridges vs partial dentures
- North Carolina Tooth Bridge - Dental team in North Carolina explains how a bridge replaces a tooth
| Back to Crowns and Bridges Home Page