Asheville dentist explains the reasons tooth fillings are needed
In 2011-2012, approximately 91 percent of American adults aged 20-64 had cavities in their permanent teeth, according to the Centers for Disease Control. Almost everyone will get at least one cavity at some point in their lives. Asheville Smile Center provides complete dental care, including tooth fillings. We want to serve patients of all ages with all dental needs.
Why fillings are needed:
Everyone lives with bacteria in their mouth. These bacteria mix with food that you eat to form a sticky biofilm (called plaque). The acid in the plaque will eat away at your tooth enamel until you get a cavity. A dentist must fill the cavity so the hole doesn’t grow larger.
Types of tooth fillings:
- Metal Amalgam fillings: The metals come together into a soft material that then it is used to fill the hole in your tooth. After placement, the amalgam hardens.
- Composite fillings: The resin used is tooth colored so it is less noticeable than amalgam fillings.
Asheville Smile Center treats each patient as an individual. Our first step is always a consultation. During this time, we will answer any questions you may have and explain each step in detail for you.
- The actual procedure will begin with local anesthetic. We do this to make the procedure comfortable.
- If getting a composite filling, we will match the material after your mouth is numbed.
- We remove the decay and make room for the filling.
- After the filling is placed, we will ensure that it matches the remainder of your bite and doesn’t have rough edges.
- We will discuss any steps we feel you can take to avoid future cavities.
Asheville Smile Center wants you to have a healthy, gorgeous smile! Don’t suffer with cavities. Call us at 828 585 4049 for a consultation today.Back to Complete Dental Care Page